6.05.2007

Uphill both ways but without the snow.

Today was the first day at the new job. Dig the agency and there are notable differences from my previous office. For one, no one is panicked. There is no one sitting over creatives' shoulders making sure their very important door hanger is done. It's a bit weird to be honest.

So to the point of the title. My walk to work is uphill both ways. Seriously. When I have grand children I can actually tell them that I had to walk uphill both ways. I might even add snow to the stories. Heck, by then global warming and polluting corporate a-holes may have turned SF into the great frozen tundra.

And who knows, with all this asphalt hiking I might even grow a butt. If I could shift the mini-gut that's started to make an appearance into a gluteus magnificus, all the better. Although, given my proclivity for women and most SF men's penchant for other mens, perhaps developing my posterior is not in my best interests.

But this vertical complaint is truly all in jest. My walk today included the legendary Lombard street twisties. Can't wait for the Mini to get here so I can slalom my way down. If you don't know the legend of Lombard, peep this. Once I got to the bottom, I also had an incredibly scenic view of Coit tower. I know, my life is hard.

3 comments:

Martha Simmons said...

Eamon, I think this is a great idea and I hope you will soon have lots of people responding to this new story of yours. I am reminded of being exposed to the "power of narrative" sometime in my lengthy education: the importance of our stories and the ways we conceive them. It's wonderful to have a record of the early phases of any new adventure, as your senses are never again as acute as they are when you first submerge yourself in a new environment.

And you were right. I didn't want to help you pack because it made your leaving too real. But I'm adjusting, as are we all, eh?

Lizzie said...

you should probably participate in this: Lombard street is the Site of the annual Bring Your Own Big Wheel race, in which adults race the plastic tricycles down the winding portion of the street.

coolville said...

your first paragraph speaks volumes.