6.25.2007

Everything old is new again.

This is a sort of the mantra in the advertising world. Everything has been done. You've just got to make it new all over again. Sometimes I believe it. Sometimes I put a stake through its trite little heart.

But, this little bit of language was very true this past weekend. Visitor #1 to SF is none other than the great Joel Bowers. It's been fun to share with him the things that made me go, "oh, wow," and then watch his reaction.

Lee and Tiffany O'Brien are also out here. Lee for a conference. Tiffany for shopping. At one point, they suggested we meet up at a Tiki Bar on the corner of Broadway and Stockton. Turns out, that's Chinatown. Joel and I had a great laugh standing smack in the middle of Chinatown trying to find a Tiki Bar. We couldn't be sure it wasn't there as I have no idea what the Chinese characters for "Bamboo Hut" look like. Turns out it was several blocks down next to the all nude strip clubs. The Hut was shady. We went elsewhere.

Joel also introduced me to Eric and Christine Strohl. As it turns out, I worked with Eric back in the Long Haymes Carr days in Winston. Crazy I know. Eric was kind enough to tell me where to find Cheerwine in SF. I was floored. He seemed amused. Now I'm just giddy that my favorite city also has my favorite beverage. Another sign that I just might make it here.

Also, some of the typically endemic agency conundrums seem to be popping up at my new agency. But the new bit is this place actually seems capable of breaking out the holy water and exorcising the little demon bastards. At least they will if I have anything to say about it.

No comments: