6.02.2007

Twas the night before take-off

It's been a day. My 30th birthday. My friend Heather gets married. And there was much packing to be done. Again.

Woke up bright and not so early. Several friends came to visit last night for a celebration over John burgers (more on these in a later post), Cheerwine and home-made ice cream. We sat on the porch attempting to rock away the pounds we had just earned and enjoyed each others company until the wee hours. It was an odd collection of old school, new school and newest school and it worked perfectly. I truly appreciated the effort of those who drove down just to spend some time.

Back to today. After packing, hanging out with Aunt and cousin, packing some more, hanging out, packing and hanging out, it was time to make my way into the who knows where part of Charlotte for Heath's wedding. She married a wonderful man named Ashley and I laughed more than I should have when the Presbyterian Minister said, "We are gathered here today for the wedding of Heather and Ashley." Being an only child, I'm easily entertained.

As I walked up to the church, I recognized an old college friend named Ivy. She re-introduced me to her husband Brian and told me of her recent bundle of joy. She now has two. We all proceeded inside for the ceremony which of course was lovely. Heather's father, Mr. Massengale, was as proud as ever. Ms. Massengale looked great. As usual.

After the ceremony, it was off to the reception. Ivy saved my skin by talking with me the entire time. I thoroughly enjoyed catching up with her and was struck by the difference in our lives. Her with a new kid. Moving to a bigger house. Married. Me, none of the above. She envied me and my move. A bit of me envied her.

At the reception were four different women that at one point or another, I thought about attempting to date. Of course, I actually dated none. All of them are married. All of me is turning 30 and moving across the country.

When Ashley and Heather appeared, I quickly said my congratulations and goodbyes. I was yearning to be home with the fam. Once I got home, we did what we so often do. Had John burgers for dinner. Sat and watched a movie. I packed. Mom helped even though she didn't want to. John was funny. Mom was supportive. I don't know what the heck I was.

So, this is my last night at the homestead for a while. I plan on being back for the holidays. I should probably book that soon, so I'm not spending truckloads of money.

This post is meandering, but then, that's exactly how I'm feeling right now. As if I'm sort of wandering along meeting up with the guide posts I stuck in the ground many months ago. 6 months ago I said I'd like to be in SF. Soon I will be. And yet somehow I'm still a bit surprised.

No comments: