6.04.2007

My last meal turned out to be Cheerwine. How perfect.

It's official. I now live in California.

I was welcomed by my corporate apartment. Which oddly does not include interweb. In SF. A city that prides itself on being among the most wired. So here I sit in a cafe enjoying a bagel and Odwalla Superfood. Tasty green stuff that I'm convinced only I drink. Mostly because every time I have one, whoever I'm eating with makes a face like a scrunchie and says, "What are you drinking?" Then they taste it. Then they like it. Then they never buy it.

I needed the Superfood to make up for my last meal in NC. Mom made me a wonderful breakfast of eggs, thick cut bacon, love and toast. The vittles fortified my strength when they dropped me off at the airport with my 5 bags of luggage. On my way to the gate, I overpaid for a Cheerwine. I figured it would be the last one I'll see for a few months so I might as well enjoy it while I can.

Little did I know a cherry soda and peanuts would be half my dinner. My plane was a bit late to NY so my layover was short enough to wonder if my bags would make it. They did. I'm grateful for my clean socks and underwear. The rest is clean too, not to worry. But the point: Racing through the airport, I didn't stop for food. My lunch and dinner was a bag of crackers, a bag of cookies, some flat cheerwine and a ginger ale.

We were also late to SF because we had to circle quite a bit. All the while I had to pee quite a bit. And those airline stewards can be bathroom nazis when the plane is on approach. Or more factually, circling endlessly while telling everyone we are on approach.

Arrived at the apartment. No idea where I am. Asked the night guard where to go eat and somehow managed to show up at 4 restaurants as the kitchens were closing.

To make a long story short(er), I wound up with tap water and some granola bars. Made this morning's bagel with cream cheese, basil, tomato and bacon quite delicious. And this morning's Superfood quite necessary. But here I sit. At the corner of Columbus and Newell. I'm now off to see what the rest of the route to work looks like. I can tell you the first part looks like the scary down hill bit of a roller coaster. In Hades. Actually the part below Hades cause this particular "hill" is that damn steep and that damn long.

No comments: