6.28.2007

SF Profile #1 - Ghetto Blaster Guy

This morning I was making my usual walk to work. A walk that takes me right by Washington Square Park. In the park are a lot of morning regulars. There's the group of old Asian men who solve the world's problems quite fiercely. There's the group that does what appears to be a sword based Tai Chi. There's also a larger group that does regular, as in non weapon aided, Tai Chi. Then there are several folks who are practicing on their own. There was also a woman doing Yoga who I had not seen there before. She was also getting her picture taken rather professionally so I think it was for show.

As I got about halfway up the side of the park, I noticed a guy across the intersection with a pretty good size ghetto blaster. And as I got to the corner, I could hear the bass enhanced thump of his speakers while we waited for the traffic to stop. It eventually did and right after we passed each other, he did a very interesting thing. He turned off his beats.

I looked back and it seemed as if he was turning them off for his walk by the park. He was looking over and taking in the scene as he went by. It was fascinating. Here was a guy about the size of Radio Raheem, albeit with a smaller ghetto blaster, who knew his beats were the wrong energy for the park.

It's amazing how considerate of others the mentality here can be. Now this does not apply to personal space as you will brush shoulders with just about everyone on the sidewalk. But hey, I was impressed.

Of course, his 8 D batteries might have just given out at that very moment, but I'm going to choose to believe I heard the click of a stop button.

No comments: