6.19.2007

How the heck did I get back in college?

At least that's where all indicators say I am. My furniture is IKEA and made out of particle board. I spend money like it's my job. I walk everywhere. I'm learning a ton about life and nothing about academics. Most of my friends are back home. I'm thinking of buying a mountain bike to get around and it will likely get stolen.

IKEA was a blast this weekend. I got more than one warning just to take a weekday day off rather than brave the weekend but I decided to go on Sunday and as Dads typically hate shopping, Father's day IKEA was quite bearable. Found a bed, dresser and bookshelf that should fill out the room perfectly. The actual shopping was quite interesting because there's a path on the floor that you have to follow to make it through the store. And you basically walk through every possible section. It's like a theme park ride that costs lots of money. Including the lines of people waiting to ride. Forgive me if you already knew this, I was an IKEA virgin.

All of the boxes were delivered yesterday to the new apartment. I was able to get off work early to meet the movers and they were magically there exactly when they said they would be. Once the boxes were in the room, I got ambitious and decided to put some stuff together. The dresser was an absolute pain. Too many moving pieces. The bed was dead easy in comparison. The shelves I put off for next time. They are quite large and will probably need a man at arms to get it done. Besides, after the four hours of bent over construction, my lower back decided to remind me I'm no longer in my 20s.

So, I now have furniture. That's cheap, stylish and disposable. And as one of my co-workers mentioned, it's perfect because if I ever do find a soul mate, it's all going in the trash anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may be back in undergrad, but the fact that you have a car on campus & a decent shot at female companionship suggest that at least you're not a freshman...