7.12.2007

2,753 Miles

2,753 miles from home (SF) to home (NC). And I'm feeling every single one of them today. One of our dogs had to be put down. She was 20 and it was time. But it hurts not to be able to be there for my mom. I know it's hard on her. Foxy is now in a better place where you get cookies just for being. You don't even have to pretend to go outside.

There's some other news going on with another family member as well. And it's fairly serious. I knew there would be days where being across the country would be tough. I just didn't realize it would all hit at once. And this hard.

At the same time, all this reflection reminds me that I am the luckiest man on the planet. The job I have. The friends and family I have, even if most are far away. The stories I'm collecting. Every day is a blessing. Staying focused on that will get me through.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I know she's looking forward to the biscuits. We can all celebrate her life and the dance that kept her on her feet.

I miss her too, E.

Anonymous said...

hope you are doing well. big hug from me from all the way across the country in the ATL.

EFG said...

Thanks for the kind words.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear G-d's using you as a punching bag. Love from the midwest...

Rakesh said...

Sorry to hear about Foxy buddy. And I completely feel your pain on the not being able to be there when you're needed.

I wish we could all think of these things as simply and beautifully as my 5-year-old nephew expressed when a very close uncle who he was really fond of passed away recently. He caught my hand one night and looked up at the sky and said "Look, that star is Prabodh Uncle."