3.26.2008

My own personal Super Tuesday

I voted yesterday. I haven't officially moved to CA yet. No driver's license or voter registration. So, off to the post office I went with absentee ballot in hand. It's a bit disconcerting that the ballot envelope is so conspicuous. Official voter blah blah blah all over the outside. Plus my signature. Plus the signatures of two witnesses. If someone wanted to get sneaky with the ballots, it wouldn't be hard to pick out. I wanted to send it in early in the hopes that it's counted before the general gets started.

If you've read more than this post, you probably have a good idea who I voted for in the presidential race.

I hope nothing happens between now and then that might change my mind. Barack would pretty much have to strangle some kittens in public at this point. I've been quite disappointed in how Hillary is running her campaign. So negative. So entitled. As an example, there's a survey floating out there that says 30% of her supporters would rather vote for McCain than Obama. This gives you an idea of the effect her negative campaigning is creating. Among Obama's supporters, the percentage of switchers drops to 19%.

I remember on my 8th grade trip to Washington D.C., we were shown a marble sculpture in one of the Smithsonian museums. It was a compilation of 3 famous women. I believe Harriet Tubman was one figure. Think Betsy Ross was another but I'm not entirely sure about that. At the end was a big hunk of uncut marble. Our guide explained that particular hunk of stone was reserved for the first female President of the United States. I was struck by the experience and wondered if a face would be carved in soon.

I once thought Hillary would be the one cut into that marble. But these days, after watching her campaign operate, I sincerely hope it's someone else who's face is preserved for future generations to admire.

No comments: