10.05.2007

SF Profile #4: My favorite pan handler.

Homelessness is a big problem in San Francisco. Lots of money. Moderate climate. Lots of social programs. All add up to a place those on the margins can actually eek out an existence.

Which means I've seen many different approaches to asking for money. They guy who just sleeps but leaves his cup waiting for your dollar. The guy who's on the same corner every morning in his electric wheelchair. The man who uses a fishing set-up with his cup on a string. Some are truly heart wrenching. Some are angry at the world. I try to respond when asked, even if only to say I don't have any change on me. These are people and by responding I keep track of that. One time a woman actually responded "bullshit" when I said I didn't have any change. I was telling the truth and her response made me a little more callous for a few days.

But my favorite guy, I'm not sure he's actually homeless. His tact is to tell the truth. I pass by him on my way to and from the gym and he often shouts out, "Can somebody help me out here, I'm trying to get inebriated!" The blatant honesty makes me laugh every time. This incantation is often followed with, "I'm tired of lying about cheeseburgers I'm not gonna eat." This is not a new approach of course, but he doesn't hold a sign and let's his voice carry him through. He also seems oddly upbeat, perhaps drunk, all the time.

I feel for anyone who has to struggle with being poor. Especially those who are forced into the streets. The fact that he is able to laugh at his situation says a lot. I just hope it's working and that just maybe he actually is lying and using the money for something more than just a stiff drink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, when's the next entry? Don't get all lax on us.