11.24.2007

Kumquats and Koalas

This was a brilliant Thanksgiving and once again I have plenty to be thankful for. Lots of new friends to start. An amazing city to live in, a roommate who's company I don't tolerate but actually enjoy. Plus an agency that's inspiring and trying everything it can to do things the right way. Not to mention a healthy family that loves me.

We created quite a feast this Thanksgiving. The attendee list: Jay, Allan, Celeste, Trav, Stephanie and Me. We feasted on brined turkey, savory bread pudding stuffing, asparagus with prosciutto, squash with candied pecans and goat cheese, bread of course, two kinds of cranberries, one with kumquats, scalloped potatoes, and some killer wine. Wine that was purchased and then stored 10 years ago. And then more wine that Mom and John purchased on their visit. Delicious. And of course we topped it all off with apple pie, ice cream and persimmon cookies. Incroyable.

On Friday, we headed off to the San Francisco Zoo. Really a great city zoo. There's not a ton of spare land around but they do a good job of maximizing the land as best they can. Bears and koalas have some room to roam, monkeys have a lot of room to swing and play. Do wish there could have been more but then, there's not a lot of spare room in this city. It's also one of the only zoos in the country where you can watch them feed the big cats. They bring in lions, tigers and siberian tigers. Pretty amazing. I saw one of the lions come in and you could tell he was a killing machine. He kept pacing and pacing until a small kid let out a wail. At that point, he zeroed in and straight up stared down this kid. It was unnerving.

I topped the day off by watching Carolina beat ODU. They are playing in Vegas but I couldn't find another Carolina Fan who would commit themselves to making the trip with me. And then tonight, I'm off to the symphony with Steph. My art director Jessica finagled some free tickets for me.

Yes, once again, I have much to be thankful for.

No comments: